In accordance with the College mission statement,the philosophy of the general studies program is to provide education based on the Christian values underlying the educational efforts of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and the Sisters of Charity of Montreal (Grey Nuns). This associate degree program is designed to meet the needs of a variety of students seeking a Christian education. For those who wish to prepare for admission to a health related program of study at Mercy
College or to transfer to another college or university, the courses outlined in this program of study can be tailored to meet program Prerequisites and are equivalent to the freshman and sophomore years of a Bachelor of Science Degree Program.
For students who wish to enroll in a program of study that allows for a broad sampling of liberal arts courses, an opportunity to pursue areas of study of interest to them while providing maximum flexibility in designing their programs of study, the general studies program is an ideal option. This flexible degree is of particular value to those employed in positions where completion of an associate degree is required for job advancement and for those who wish to pursue their educations in a small Catholic college environment.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Associate of Science in General Studies will be able to:
1. Exhibit proficiency and competency within one’s discipline and in service to others
2. Integrate critical thinking skills to reason logically using data from appropriate disciplines to solve problems and make decisions
3. Communicate clearly in both written and oral forms of expression
4. Demonstrate an understanding of Catholic beliefs and faith within one’s ethical and professional decision-making
5. Display an understanding of cultures and experiences that characterize the global community