BSN Nursing Prelicensure
Basic Admission Requirements into Nursing Coursework in the BSN Pre-Licensure Program of Study
Notes about Admission requirements: Admission requirements listed below are for entry into the nursing coursework for the BSN Pre-Licensure Program. Students who do not meet these requirements or who need to complete the necessary program pre-requisite courses should review general college admission requirements.
Students should review the basic requirements below along with the additional pre-requisite and nursing program entrance requirements listed below this section.
An applicant must be a high school graduate with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 or a general equivalency diploma (GED) recipient with a score of 570 (score of 57 prior to 2002). If an applicant’s GPA or GED score is below the minimum, he/she may be eligible for admission under transfer student guidelines.
Transfer Student Guidelines
A transfer student must be a high school graduate or a GED recipient and have earned a minimum of 15 credit hours of college coursework from a regionally accredited college, with a GPA of at least 2.7. For applicants who have attended more than one regionally accredited college, GPAs from all colleges must combine to equal at least 2.7.
The BSN pre-licensure nursing program Admission’s Committee will not consider an applicant for admission into the program if an applicant has failed two or more nursing courses or has been dismissed from another nursing program in the past five (5) years prior to the expected date of enrollment at Mercy College.
Nursing Division BSN Program Admission Scoring Rubric
In addition to a candidate having at least a 2.7 cumulative grade point average, each candidate will be reviewed using the Nursing Division BSN Program Admission Scoring Rubric. The Division of Nursing BSN Program uses a scoring rubric to objectively review a candidate’s educational record to determine acceptance into the BSN Program. The link below is a sample rubric demonstrating a candidate’s educational record that would receive a total of 73 points, the maximum number of points possible. A candidate with a rubric score of 35 or above will be admitted or placed on the waitlist, depending on the number of applicants. Applicants with rubric scores of 21-34 will be considered based on seat availability.
Additional Admission Requirements for All BSN Pre-Licensure Program Applicants
Applicants must have achieved the following test scores:
- ACT composite score of 21, with a score of 20 on mathematics sub-test and a score of 19 on scientific reasoning sub-test, or SAT with a combined score of 1060-1090 (The College Board concordance tables, 5.9.2016) or above.
- ACT/SAT is waived for transfer students who have earned a minimum of 15 college semester hours at a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7.
Applicants should have completed and passed these high school courses, or their college equivalents:
- Biology* – one year
- Chemistry with a lab* – one year
- Math – Algebra* – one year
All courses should be completed with a grade of "C" or better; a grade of "B" or better is preferred. Courses marked with * must have been completed within the past seven years with grade of “C” or better; a grade of “B” or better is preferred.
For students who are not United States citizens and/or for whom English is a second language, please review the college catalog for further admission information.
BSN Pre-Licensure Nursing Coursework Entrance Requirements
In addition to the basic admission requirements listed above, students must adhere to the following guidelines and process for entrance into BSN Pre-Licensure nursing coursework (NUR courses).
Process for entrance into BSN Pre-Licensure Nursing Higher Level Coursework (NUR Courses): NUR 251, NUR 252, and NUR 290
- In addition to adhering to all admission and entrance requirements, transfer students must submit an application to Mercy College of Ohio per admission process listed in the Mercy College of Ohio catalog.
- Current Mercy College of Ohio students seeking entrance into BSN Pre-licensure Nursing higher level coursework (NUR courses) can fill out a Candidacy for Program of Study of BSN Nursing form after Semester I- III (curriculum) courses are completed with a grade of “C” or better. Forms are located on the Mercy College Website or in the Nursing Advisor’s office.
- Students seeking entrance into higher level nursing coursework (NUR Courses) must have a cumulative collegiate grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 to be considered for entrance into NUR 251, NUR 252, and NUR 290. Entrance into higher level nursing coursework is competitive and not guaranteed.
- Students must successfully complete courses listed in Semester I-IV (curriculum) with a grade of “C” or better, a grade of “B” or better is preferred, to begin in NUR 251, NUR 252, and NUR 290. *Courses marked with * must have been completed within the past seven years with grade of “C” or better; a grade of “B” or better is preferred. Science courses taken at the college level must be within the past seven years with a grade of “C” or better; a grade of “B” or better is preferred.
- Nursing coursework is sequential and begins each Fall (August) and Spring (January) with NUR 251, NUR 252, and NUR 290. Applicants must have submitted the Candidacy for Program of Study: BSN Nursing Form and all transcripts by the deadline for their file to be complete.
Application for Deadline for File to be Complete Review of Candidates Fall Start (August) January 15 February 15 Spring Start (January) September 15 October 15
- Students will be notified of acceptance into nursing coursework by the Division of Nursing.