Your right to an equal education is protected by Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972. While you are pregnant or newly parenting, you are entitled to the following rights:
- You are allowed to continue participating in classes and extracurricular activities.
- The school must provide reasonable adjustments to accommodate your physical needs.
- Your absences related to pregnancy or childbirth must be excused, as long as your doctor deems it necessary.
- You can return to the same status as before your medical leave began. You have the opportunity to make up any work you miss while you are on medical leave.
- The school must protect you from harassment based on sex, including harassment because of pregnancy or related conditions.
You are responsible for notifying the school if you are in need of accommodations or have any pregnancy-related conditions that result in your absence. An education plan will be created between you and the College. You are expected to communicate any necessary changes to your education plan on a regular basis with the Title IX Coordinator.
Additional Resources for Pregnant/Parenting Students: